Friday, December 7, 2012

December Fishing in Victoria, Australia

Plenty of big carp on the Murray River. Kerby behind also caught one. 
The holiday season was here, and we headed down under to stay on a houseboat on the Murray River. Caught plenty of carp, which was great fun for the kids. However, the targets were the natives, namely Yellow Belly and Murray Cod.

After moving along the river and fishing the snags, we finally landed ourselves some nice Yellow Belly.

Here's a fine Callop (Yellow Belly or Golden Perch)
Sadly, the Murray cod stayed elusive. We did get some huge hits which were probably giant Murray Cod, but my 30lb line could not stop them as they powered into the snags even on tight drags. There was even one morning when I locked my drag on 40lb line and the fish could muscle its way into the snag. Next time I target big Murray Cod, I'll be using 80 lb gear.

Of course, after the stay on the houseboat, I stayed in Melbourne and fished the Port Philip area, which I was quite familiar with. My brother and I drove around several piers and caught some nice large squid on squid lures. They seem so easy to catch.

Guess who caught the largest Pink Snapper that day?
No trip to Melbourne would be complete without tangling with some Pinkies right? Unfortunately, out of two charters we booked, one was cancelled due to bad weather. The other one was not very productive, but I still managed the largest fish of the boat that morning, a nice Pink Snapper. Hope to be back there again soon.