Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sweet Jiggin Spot, Ubin Barras and Lower Seletar Reservoir

Barras still common at Ubin. Kids still having fun.
I brought kids out fishing again at Ubin on Saturday and the Barramundi were still obliging. The sad part is that I lost a big Barra at boatside when it jumped and threw the hook. The good part is that we ate one other Barra at the floating restaurant and enjoyed the fresh mussels and calamari. Overall, an excellent trip. Heavy rain and strong winds kept us at the restaurant until dark when I could slowly make my way back to Punggol. Spent the next day cleaning the boat thoroughly.

Had a half day trip with Bryan at our new spot and the fish showed up  as scheduled.

Armed with Cast Fighters (shhh... don't tell anyone how effective these lures are), Bryan and I went to our jigging hotspot and landed several BIG Longfin Trevally. Each was about the length of my proper blue ice-box, with some even longer. These fish fight hard and the Hunter Stick was given a good workout, together with my biceps and forearms. I was hoping to try out my new formula for Black Soybean Sauce with Leek and Onions and I did just that the next day. It was so delicious, I added this dish to my Home Menu.

Inspired by the Fried Black Pomfret with Black Soybeans, leek and onions I had a few days earlier, I did my own sauce for a fillet of Trevally and it turned out beautifully.


I was free early this morning so I did some luring, and managed to Catch and Release this young Peacock Bass.

Anyway, the new Jigging spot seems great so far. I'm sure there's more to come.