Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Short family trip at Ubin

The kids were having their holidays and were dying to go fishing on the boat, but since the weather has been pretty bad in the afternoons, I scheduled a short trip to Ubin on the Treva Berkley, my trusty Flybridge Cruiser.

After loading up with a few prawns from Bernard, and having a simple lunch at the newly opened Horkomo eating place, we hopped onto the boat and zoomed off to Good Feeling, where the chances of a decent fish were always good.

As soon as we reached the spot, I dropped anchor and prepared the lines for the girls. Once the first bait hit the bottom, the Barramundi just couldn't hold back any longer and took the first prawn. Treva spotted the whole rod bending and was quick to grab the rod and give it a good strike. Fish on!!! After a brief battle, a healthy gleaming Saltwater Barramundi slipped into the landing net and Treva was all smiles. What a great start to the trip!

Great start to the day! A strong Barramundi
Soon all three rods were set up, one for each of us. Berkley had her pink Ugly Stik ready and she insisted on casting it herself. She then quickly settled down to munch on her Old Chang Kee snacks. We had a few more missed bites when I heard the sound of a drag being pulled. Turning around, I saw that Berkley's little pink rod was taking a wicked bend, but she was too engrossed with her curry puff to bother. She asked her sis to fight the fish and this fish put up a good fight before slipping into the waiting landing net. It was a beautiful Golden Snapper.

Even this fish couldn't stop her from eating Old Chang Kee snacks
We were all very happy, and I was wondering where my fish was when my rod started to bend too. It was a heavy fish, and I thought I had a Garoupa, but it turned out to be a big old eel. The girls were quite excited when it was squirming all about. Fortunately, it managed to come off the hook by itself and fell back into the water, much to the disappointment of the girls... but to my delight.

Anyway, the weather suddenly took a turn for the worst and I had to head back to shore after fishing for just about an hour. It was fun though.

This is the part they like best, riding at the front of the boat.